Sunday, December 5, 2010

Recently, I had someone ask me if I felt the world was on the brink of another Porrjamos, or Holocaust of the Rromani poeple. I had to think on the answer for some time, but here is my reply:

I've been thinking hard about your question and it has, unfortunately, more than one answer, but I feel both answers offer hope. Here is my reasoning.

From the definition of genocide as set forth by the UN, we are not. That sounds like a very clinical answer, but in that answer there is a glimmer of hope. The difference between 1933 and 2010 is that there IS a definition and that we, as a poeple, have a voice in that definition. We are protected, though it is currently not being applied as liberally as you or I would like to see. In 1933, there was no such crime as genocide and no punishment for governments who did so. Now at least there are governments who do watch and do raise their voice. It took some time, but the EU eventually did stop the fingerprinting and photographing in Italy and is currently looking into dealing with France. Again, it may not be the speed or the outcome that we want and need, but it is more than we had in 33.

If you look at history, it is tempting to say "yes", since the parallels between the Third Reich's methodical extermination of the Rroma and the attacks we see today are frighteningly similar, but again, people have noticed. Governments have noticed. While it does seem that no one government has a solution to the persecution, most see that something needs to be done. This is again more than what we had in 33, but the similarities, as you have noticed are there, and that looks like the beginnings to a lot of people.

My outlook on this is always hope. We didn't have anyone to speak for us in 33 and now we do. We didn't have an ethnic defintion then, as we do now. In other words, we can do something about it. What we must do is find ways to fight for our own, something we were incapable of doing back then. We must use the tools of the internet, the educational system, mass media, and any publication we can get into to get the message out.

The key is what message to send. We are fearful, yes, and we are angry, but we need to present a united, organized front to the world. We must decide as a nation what we want to show the world, both traditionally and modern. We must create educational programs that show future generations what it really means to be Rromani. For those of us blessed to live in safe havens like the States, we must stand up for those who can't.

I feel that now Rroma are finding ways to be heard, to be seen, in a positive way. We are making our voice be heard in new venues around the world. I've been contacted by more Rromani people who want to do something, to find a way to get the word out. I feel that these people are making contact with people like Prof Hancock and in so doing, we will see change.

I feel we are living in the 'make it or break it' time. If we fail, then yes, there are very terrible events that will happen. But we have a voice, we have the will, and once we find a way, I think we can make a difference.

A very wise man once told me that I had no right to be afraid, that I spoke for those who could no longer speak for themselves. He is right. I'll continue to speak, to write, to do what I can to make people listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment