Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11, 2011

Over the past week I've been asked my thoughts about September 11.

Like everyone else in the nation, I can remember where I was when I learned of the attack, I can remember how I felt when I watched the second plane strike the tower, and the gauntlet of emotions I ran through upon learning of the attack on the Pentagon and of Flight 93's heroic rebellion against the hijackers.

To me, this date stands as a fresh reminder that we can never know what is going to happen. We can never take our freedoms, our way of life, and our rights for granted. We need to remember not only the dead, but the living as well.

We lived history. That event could be likened to the attack on Pearl Harbor or the death of President Kennedy. It is a moment in history that was over before most of us realized it what had happened. Like other generations before us in the event of a tragedy, we demanded to know who could have done such a heinous act, why was this happening to us, but more importantly, what would be done about it.

We were ready for war. Many of us demanded it. We, as a nation, cheered our boys on when they signed up and we, as a nation, still mourn them when they come home in boxes.

Do we have closure with Bin Laden's death? It's hard to say. Some do, some don't. Some feel justice has been served. Others say it is all a hoax so Obama can try for re-election. But I think closure on an event that had such a lasting effect on everyone is still a ways in coming.

One way to deal with disaster is to look for hope. Shortly after the attacks, I read an article calling for everyone to forget about returning to 'normalcy', but to take it one step further. Do that thing you've been putting off. Adopt a pet, join Big Brothers, Big Sisters, sign up to be a foster parent, get in shape, but do something positive.

I'm still in agreement with this. I've pushed myself much harder than I ever have. I've increased my speaking engagements and I've added to my program. I've returned to school. And I pay more attention to the little things in life, the things I took for granted. I spend at least an hour a day outside, rain or shine. I enjoy the sky and the breeze. I take time for my family.

Take the time to make a change. Make a difference in the world.

Use 9/11 to make a life changing statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment